Build reusable steps to reduce test maintenance when the target application changes in the future.
- Parameterize steps with the touch of a button to make them reusable
- Drag flow control and conditional statements from the ‘Actions Explorer’
- Steps are organized in a library that can be organized by user-defined groups
- Refactor project automatically when renaming steps or step parameter
Reusable tests are built by dragging and dropping steps. AscentialTest automatically generates data tables and binds to the data fields of the test. As the library of steps grows, the pace of building new tests accelerates. The most important benefit of the Step-Based approach is not realized until the target application changes over time. When the target application changes, only the impacted steps need to be modified. All the tests that use those steps are automatically updated. This not only saves time and resources, it assures that tests are ready when you need them.
- Create tests by dragging and dropping re-usable steps
- Outputs captured in one step can be linked to input instructions of subsequent steps so that the tester is provided with session specific data
- Data lookups can be embedded within instructions so that the tester is provided with current and relevant test data. Significant time is saved searching for records and eliminating input errors due to out-of-date data
- Data tables generated with fields in the correct data type
- Pass parameters between steps or access shared parameters
- Refactor project automatically when renaming tests or test parameters
- Tests kept up to date automatically as reusable steps are modified
- Combine manual and automated steps
Input Test Data
Data tables are automatically generated by AscentialTest based on test input fields. Data tables offer significant advantages over spreadsheets for maintaining test data. Instead of storing only strings, AscentialTest data tables store data in the type that is required by test actions including complex lists and records. Users can automatically generate data tables from tests or build them visually using a specialized editor. All the user has to do is provide the test data.
- Data fields are generated in the type expected by the test
- Pick lists reduce input errors and save time inputting test data
- Data tables can contain complex data structures including lists and records
- Import test data from .csv
- Special encrypted data parameters available for passwords and other sensitive data
- Data can be designed to be reused by multiple tests
- Standalone applet available for editing test data
- Random data generation available
- Easy access to ODBC databases, ASCII, XML and INI files
The manual test prompter invokes on the tester’s computer and provides instructions along with the ability to capture outputs, notes and attachments.
- Application images can be captured during execution for display in test results or defect reports
- Test results including date/time, tester and executed actions are recorded for audit or regulatory review
- AscentialTest Manual Test Edition can be purchased separately as a standalone solution for manual-only testing